Monday, March 17, 2014

Lily of the Valley Tea

 
Welcome Friends to
 
"A Lily of the Valley Tea"
 
 
Today I wanted to celebrate spring by participating in  Sandi's special tea party:



Sandi  ~  http://www.sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.com/

Teatime Tuesday   
 
 
For many people "Lily of the Valley Flower" is symbolic with springtime. 
 
 
The flowers on the teacups are white tepals and bell-shaped.  There is a pink bow at the bottom of both bouquets.
 
 
The teacups are very similar.   Can you see the differences?

 
 
 
 Lily of the Valley usually flowers in late spring, in mild winters.
There is not anything delicate about this hardy shade-lover. Lily-of-the-Valley (Convallaria majalisis) a tough-as-nails perennial that will keep going after many others fail to thrive.
It is one of the few perennials that can grow in the deep shade of large trees and shrubs. Lily-of-the-Valley also makes a good choice in small contained spaces. In areas where temperatures remain cooler in summer, it can even take full sun. This hardy perennial isn't very particular about the soil it's planted in.
Lily-of-the-Valley can spread quickly by underground stems called rhizomes. Although each plant only has two or three wide and glossy leaves, it makes a beautiful ground cover in masses.
The somewhat tropical looking leaves of this perennial belie its ability to survive sub-zero temperatures. Lily-of-the-Valley is hardy in USDA Zones 2 - 7.
Even after the spring blooms fade, the leaves remain beautiful until fall and cover areas where other plants fail. The Lilly-of-the-Valley's blooms are very fragrant. That's just one more added benefit of this tough and reliable perennial.
 
 
 
 
 
The creamer has a pattern quite like the teacups.
 
It is called "Jubilee" and Made in England.
 
 
 

 
 
Happy Spring!
 
 
This week I will be joining these lovely blogspots:
 
Bernideen’s ~ http://blog.bernideens.com/
Friends Sharing Tea
Tea on Tuesday
Tuesday Cuppa Tea
Teatime Tuesday
  
 Terri~  http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com/ 
Teacup Tuesday

Hope to see you there! 
 
 
  

11 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I love Lily-of-the-Valley and it happens to be my hubby's birthday flower of the month. It has such a sweet scent too. Your teacups are really pretty and I love the green table you have your tea setting on. Happy St. Patricks Day and thank you for coming to my tea party. Enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creamer caught my eye. It is so pretty. A lovely tea and thank you for sharing.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is so very beautiful. Love the tea cups. I am sharing some with the Lily of the Valley flower next week. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your spring tea time. Your china is very romantic. The little table is fantastic. How sweet this corner of your living room!
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very fond of lily of the valley. I am lucky to have a lot in my garden. They always remind me of my Mother-in law. It was her favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty cups. Lily of the Valley is always a favorite. The essence of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was there in your cozy setting having tea with you! Love your Lily of the Valley china, so beautiful. I have read about the flower being easy to grow, I may have to try it, as I love to buy bunches in the Spring at our farmers market as it smells so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely teacups! Lily of the Valley is a favorite of mine. Your tea today is so enjoyable reminding me that spring will come!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the shade of green of your side table which of course matches your theme. The two teacups are so similar, hardly noticeable that they do differ a bit.
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I love lilies of the valley and they are indeed a sign of spring. Love your pale green table! That is so perfect for the delicate china patterns. Love the birds too! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. another lily of the valley fan, I'm always surprised the places it chooses to grow -
    and it always is a delite to discover!
    your teacups are new patterns to me - I have a couple of my own from other cos. -
    I've enjoyed our teatime today =))

    ReplyDelete